Continuing Education

CE Requirements

There is no grace period for completion of continuing education!

PHARMACISTS - Pharmacists are required to complete 30 hours of continuing education for each biennial renewal period. The hours must be completed within the licensed period: July 1, 2018 - June 30, 2020 (for licenses expiring June 30, 2020). Retain certificates of completion for five (5) years.

NEW GRADUATES - The number of required hours of continuing education is prorated and provided in your original licensure letter.

 TECHNICIANS - Technicians are required to complete 20 hours of continuing education for each biennial renewal period. The hours must be completed within the registration period: November 1, 2018 - October 31, 2020 (for licenses expiring October 31, 2020).


*Beginning August 1, 2016, all Kansas pharmacists and technicians are required to submit their certificates of completion for approved courses or CE hours to the Board within 30 days to receive credit. If the hours are listed on your CPE Monitor, you do not need to submit your certificate to the Board. It is your responsibility to verify that all CE (including hours that are supposed to appear on the CPE Monitor) have been received by the Board.

List of Kansas-Approved CE
CPE Monitor

CPE Approval Process and Forms

Each CE program shall be submitted to the Board at least 10 days in advance of the course date.

Providers - Use Form E-100 for CE Approval Requests
Licensees - Use Form E-200 for CE Approval Requests

Continuing education approval requests will be reviewed by the CE Review Committee monthly.

ACPE courses are automatically accepted by the Board and do not need to be submitted for approval. CE programs shall not include in-service programs, on-the-job training, orientation for a job, an education program open to the general public, a cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) course, a basic cardiac life support (BCLS) course, emergency or disaster training or direct experience at a healthcare facility under a code blue, testing out of a course, or medical school courses.

Providers are required to distribute certificates of completion to attendees in accordance with KAR 68-1-1b. Here's a Sample Certificate of Completion that meets the Board's requirements.

CPE Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Continuing Education (CE)

  • How many CE hours do I need?

  • What is a CEU?

  • How do I request approval of a CE course or program?

  • Can a licensee request approval of CE course or program if he/she is not the provider?

  • How do I know if a CE course or program is approved in Kansas?

  • Can I carry-over unused CE hours from one license period to another?

  • Can I combine fractions of CE hours to receive full credit?

  • Do I have to send copies of my CE certificates to the Board?

  • Do I need to retain copies of my CE certificates?

  • Can I get CE hours by attending Board of Pharmacy meetings?

  • Can I request a waiver of my CE hours?

  • How do I submit my CE certificate to the Board?

  • How do I submit my CPE monitor to the Board?

  • Do I need to submit my CPE monitor?

  • Will my CE from Missouri, Oklahoma, or another state count in Kansas?

  • Can I request an extension of time to complete my CE?

  • If I have not obtained the required CE hours, can I renew my pharmacist license on inactive status?

  • What do I do if I receive a notice that my CE is being audited?

  • Can I use CE that I completed for my Pharmacy Technician national certification?

  • Do I have to take technician specific CE?