Pharmacy Interns

Intern Application

To apply for a pharmacy intern registration, use the following forms and instructions:

If you answer "yes" to any of the Personal History questions on the application, you will be required to complete a S-150 Personal History (Form S-150) to submit with your application.

Graduates of Foreign Schools

Candidates can apply for a Kansas intern registration after they achieve Foreign Pharmacy Graduate Examination Committee (FPGEC) Certification. To obtain the FPGEC Certificate, the candidate must pass the FPGEE in addition to the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) Internet-Based Test (iBT). Please contact NABP for additional information.

Rotation hours in an international pharmacy school or pharmacy outside the United States are not recognized by the Board. The candidate is responsible for arranging to obtain the 1,740-hour internship in a hospital or retail pharmacy after obtaining an intern license.

Intern Experience Requirements

Registered interns are required to complete 1,740 hours working under a registered preceptor who has a minimum of 2 years’ experience in the active practice of pharmacy as a registered pharmacist immediately preceding acceptance by the Board as preceptor.

All hours must be worked when the intern is in regular attendance at an accredited school of pharmacy, and all hours to be counted must be complete within 6 years, not counting military service, unless special permission extending the time period is obtained in writing from the Board.

After the first day of attendance at the school of pharmacy, hours worked during vacation time and other times when the intern is enrolled but not in regular attendance at an accredited school of pharmacy may be counted as qualified hours. However, not more than 60 hours can be acquired in any one week.

No time may accrue to a student prior to acceptance in an accredited school of pharmacy (first day of class) or prior to the effective date of the intern registration with the Board.

Proof of pharmaceutical experience shall be by affidavits (Intern Experience Hours) filed with the Executive Secretary of the Board on a quarterly basis. The intern should use the form to itemize specific individual periods and specific individual hours of allowable internship time performed which have been certified by the preceptor. Interns should also keep a copy of every document submitted to the Board

All affidavits which are to be submitted are the responsibility of the intern and not the preceptor.