Pharmacy Technicians

Technician Registration & Renewal

Registration Application


LA-14 Technician Registration Application, S-100 & S-150 
Questions about how to answer the disciplinary questions? Please review these Frequently Asked Questions. Visit the Kansas Bureau of Investigation to learn more about Criminal History Record Information.


FD-258 Fingerprint Card -must be printed on white card stock.
Instructions on how to complete the card are on page 5 of the form above.


Fingerprint Card Order Form

Please note-as of April 11, 2018, the Board will no longer mail out applications. You must print out the form available above. We will still mail FD-258 fingerprint cards if you are unable to print or obtain from a fingerprinting agency.

  • If you are working as a Pharmacy Technician in Kansas, you must be registered with the Kansas Board of Pharmacy.
  • Registration fee $67.00
  • Please allow 10 business days to receive your fingerprint card.
  • Please allow 3 weeks for the Board to process a complete technician application. Missing items, incomplete applications, criminal history, and other items cause significant delays.
  • Only one registration is required even if you work for multiple pharmacies or change jobs. You will keep the same registration number forever.  If you have your registration card and you begin working for another pharmacy, simply give them your registration number, so they do not have you fill out another application or take the test again.


Renewal of Registration

You must renew your registration every two years. If the expiration date on your license is October 31 of the current year, you will renew this year between mid-September and October 31. If your expiration date is October 31 of next year, you will renew next year.

The renewal fee is $20.00.  You can renew online through the eLicensing portal, which is available on the Board website. The renewal form is not the same as the original application, so do not fill out an application if you are renewing your registration. If you let your existing registration expire, you will be required to complete a new application and may be required to pass a certification exam.

Beginning July 1, 2017, all newly registered technicians will be required to pass either the PTCB or ExCPT certification exam prior their first renewal.

You should receive a renewal notice from the Board to remind you to renew. It is important to notify the Board Office when you move or change email/phone so you can get your renewal reminder! The Board will only send out renewal notices to those persons who are up for renewal.  If you believe that you are due to renew and you do not receive a notice, you may contact the Board Office via e-mail. Before contacting the Board Office, please check to ensure that your license registration is due to expire this year. You will not receive a notice if it is not your year to renew.

Continuing Education & Certification for 2019 Renewal

If your Kansas pharmacy technician registration expires October 31, 2019, you will need to have completed 20 hours of Continuing Education before you renew (or the prorated amount of CE based on the issue date and expiration date of your technician registration). Those hours must have been earned between November 1, 2017 and the day you renew in 2019.
Any technician who is renewing for the first time will need to provide proof of passing a national certification examination. See "Pharmacy Technician Certification Examination" on page 1 of the December 2018 newsletter.

The CE you complete may be approved for pharmacists or pharmacy technicians or may be earned for national certification. There is no requirement that CE be done on certain topics. However, all CE must be approved by one of the following:

  1. ACPE. To receive credit, register for the CPE Monitor.
  2. Another state Board of Pharmacy. To receive credit, submit a copy of your certificate of completion to the Kansas Board within 30 days of course completion.
  3. The Kansas Board of Pharmacy. To get CE approval from the Kansas Board, submit a request for approval to the Board at least 10 days prior to the course using the E-200 Request Form. A list of pre-approved Kansas CE courses is also available on the Board website. To receive credit, submit a copy of your certificate of completion to the Kansas Board within 30 days of course completion.

What is Continuing Education?
Continuing Education courses are for pharmacy technicians to expand their knowledge of pharmacy related topics and continue their training and competency as a pharmacy technician. The Board began requiring 20 hours per renewal period from all pharmacy technicians in August 2016.

What’s my first step?
The Board recommends that you register for a FREE CPE Monitor account through the National Association of Boards of Pharmacy. You’ll receive an e-Profile ID number that can be given to the CE provider. You can then keep track of your CE in the monitor and the Board will have access to verify you have completed your hours if you register with your Kansas registration number (format 14-XXXXX or 14-XXXXXX).
For more information on the importance of the CPE monitor, please see ‘Ways to Reduce CE Audit Risk’ on page 4 of the June 2018 Newsletter.

Where do I find CE?
The Kansas Board of Pharmacy accepts all ACPE approved CE along with courses approved by the Kansas State Board of Pharmacy or any other state Board of Pharmacy. ACPE courses can be found by googling ‘ACPE approved courses’ and following the links in the results. If you are looking for only free CE, you can search ‘free ACPE courses’. You can also use the Pharmacists' Learning Assistance Network (P.L.A.N.®) available from the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education. This resource searches for qualifying CE based on your profession, type of CE activity, and the CE format. You can then visit the provider’s website for more information.
CE does not have to be technician specific; you can complete CE designated for a pharmacist as well. However, please note we do not accept Continuing Medical Education (CME) or Continuing Nursing Education (CNE) courses.

Do I send you my completion certificates?
If the course you completed is ACPE approved, it should be submitted to your CPE monitor. Please do not send the Board certificates for ACPE approved courses. You will want to keep copies though in case you are audited and need to provide proof of completion of your CE.
If your course is approved by the Kansas State Board of Pharmacy or another state Board of Pharmacy, you should submit your CE to the Board within 30 days of completion. Please retain a copy in case of an audit.

2019 Renewal

Pharmacy technicians expiring October 31, 2019 can renew online beginning Tuesday, September 3, 2019.

Renewal Instructions:

  • Go to the eLicense Portal
  • Login to your account and select “Renew License”.
  • Review and update information, answer the disciplinary questions, and submit the renewal. Make sure you have completed 20 hours of continuing education prior to submitting the renewal.
  • Use the Board's secure online payment processing portal to pay $20 plus a small transaction fee by credit/debit card or electronic check, or follow the instructions to print and mail a $20 check or money order to the Board.
  • A confirmation email will be sent to you verifying receipt of payment.
  • Please allow 10 business days for processing your renewal.
  • Visit the Board's License Verification page to check for an updated expiration date.
Failure to renew by 11:59pm CST on October 31, 2019 will result in the registration being canceled. Canceled technicians will be required to complete a new application and fingerprint card to continue working ($67 cost).

Pharmacies utilizing/employing technicians with canceled registrations will be in violation of the Kansas Pharmacy Practice Act and may be disciplined by the Board.

Renewal Frequently Asked Questions

Pharmacy Technician Renewal

  • Can I renew online?

  • Do I have to pay my renewal fee online?

  • Can I pay my renewal fee online?

  • Do I need to take a test to renew?

  • When does my pharmacy technician registration expire?

  • Do I need any continuing education (CE) hours before I can renew?

  • When does my renewal have to be received by the Board office?

  • Can I renew my registration after it has expired?

  • Do I have to answer disciplinary questions for my entire criminal history?

  • Does the Board review the answers to the disciplinary history questions?

Helpful Forms and Links

Use the following applications on our Forms Page:

S-100 Background Check
S-150 Personal History

LA-40 Change in Name or Contact Info Form
LA-50 Change in Employment Form
LA-80 Duplicate Pocket Card Application

LA-70 Technician - Reinstatement after Revocation
If your pharmacy technician registration has been revoked by the Kansas Board of Pharmacy, you must wait a minimum of one year from the date of revocation before applying for reinstatement.