Pharmacies in the state of Kansas and those dispensing to Kansas patients from other locations must report to K-TRACS all schedule II, III and IV controlled substance prescriptions and drugs of concern that they dispense.

  • Read the Data Submission Guide
  • For assistance with data reporting, please contact the Appriss Health customer service line at 855-544-4767


Drugs of concern required to be reported to K-TRACS include:

  • Any product containing all three of these drugs: butalbital, acetaminophen and caffeine
  • Any compound, mixture or preparation that contains any detectable quantity of ephedrine, its salts or optical isomers, or salts of optical isomers, and is exempt from being reported to NPLEx
  • Any compound mixure or preparation that contains any detectable quantity of pseudoephedrine, its salts or optical isomers, or salt of opical isomers, and is exempt from being reported to NPLEx
  • Promethazine with codeine
  • Any product, compound, mixture or preparation that contains gabapentin

Source: KAR 68-21-7


Pharmacies that dispense controlled substances and drugs of concern in an outpatient setting must report their prescription drug data to K-TRACS within 24 hours of the drugs being dispensed.

All pharmacies need to report controlled substances dispensed, even when it is infrequent (or occasional). Pharmacies can submit “zero-claim” reports for periods during which they have not dispensed any controlled substance prescriptions. Zero-claim reports must be made every 7 days.

If you need to correct errors discovered during the reporting process or during a data validation review conducted by K-TRACS, please refer to the guide linked below.



Accurate pharmacy data entry is a critical component of the data quality in K-TRACS. The best practices listed below are the result of an internal review of data quality and comparing a random sample of original prescriptions to submitted data.

  • Ensure prescription data entry matches information on original written prescription.
  • Verify prescription written date, and differentiate between written date and fill date. Ensure written date is being submitted accurately to K-TRACS.
  • Verify and input patient date of birth in the correct format (including 4 digits for the year).
  • Enter the patient's physical address including city, state and zip code from a driver's license or insurance card. PO boxes are NOT acceptable addresses.
  • Always differentiate between human and animal prescriptions during original data entry. Include animal names when provided on the prescription.
  • Always verify and include accurate prescriber DEA and NPI numbers.
  • Always verify and include accurate days supply.


Pharmacies are required to report to K-TRACS all controlled substances and drugs of concern, including gabapentin, dispensed to non-human patients in the same manner as those for human patients.

Pharmacies that dispense veterinary prescriptions should submit the animal's information to K-TRACS, using the following formats:

  • Pet's first name
  • Owner's last name
  • Pet's date of birth (use owner's date of birth if pet's is not available)
  • Owner's physical address

All other information should reflect the owner's information. If available, please select a non-human species code.

For veterinarians and other prescribers without a DEA number, dispensations can be submitted to K-TRACS with a valid NPI number only. For dispensations without an associated DEA or NPI, please use the pharmacy DEA number to submit the prescription and include all available information about the prescriber. If the prescriber is a veterinarian, include DVM initials in the prescriber name if possible to further identify non-human prescriptions.

Contact K-TRACS at [email protected] or 785-296-6547 for additional questions.


Pharmacies that meet the exemptions listed below but also still dispense controlled substances to outpatients must report to K-TRACS, but may exclude the prescriptions dispensed to patients that are in the exemption categories.

Pharmacies that are not required to report include:

  • Licensed hospital pharmacies that distribute prescription drugs for the purpose of inpatient hospital care
  • Medical care facilities defined by KSA 65-425
  • Registered wholesale distributors of scheduled substances and drugs of concern
  • Licensed veterinarians who don't dispense or prescribe scheduled substances or drugs of concern
  • Medical facilities that dispense an interim quantity of scheduled substances on an outpatient emergency basis that does not exceed a 48-hour supply.

Pharmacies that meet these qualifications can request an exemption for reporting from the Board of Pharmacy. A pharmacy or dispensing practitioner that never dispenses controlled substances is not required to report to K-TRACS and can notify the Board in writing that they will not be reporting. They can also use the form provided by the Board.

The administration of a drug does not have to be reported to K-TRACS. Only those drugs dispensed to the patient (i.e. given to the patient to take home for later use) must be reported to K-TRACS.


Non-resident pharmacies should review their exemption waiver annually to ensure it aligns with their current controlled substance dispensing practices. If you begin dispensing controlled substances, please notify the Board of Pharmacy.



Pharmacy Reporting to K-TRACS