BEST PRACTICES FOR K-TRACS USE
WHEN TO CONSULT K-TRACS
- Before dispensing controlled substances to new patients and as a new therapy for existing patients.
- Prior to dispensing controlled substances for patients requesting early refills.
- Before dispensing controlled substances when prescription quantities, prescriber tendencies, payment method or patient behavior raises a red flag.
- For patients regularly receiving controlled substances from multiple prescribers, emergency rooms or urgent care centers.
- At least annually for all patients continuing therapy with controlled substances to avoid overlooking concerns among familiar patients.
HOW TO USE K-TRACS DATA
- Coordinate care with the patient's prescribers when overlapping or duplicative medications are present.
- Identify and refer patients to treatment who might otherwise go untreated for a substance use disorder.
- Examine medication use and engage in meaningful patient education around the safe use of prescription drugs and the risks of substance use disorders.
- Engage prescribers about potential inappropriate prescribing, including dosing, frequency and MME levels.
- Discuss naloxone with patients who meet clinical indicators for dispensing according to statewide protocol.
- Decide whether to dispense controlled substances for the patient after reviewing all available data.
PUT THE BEST PRACTICES TO USE
Download a sample practice policy and sample clinical workflow to consider how to implement K-TRACS best practices into your retail pharmacy.